27 June 2010

Open in My Garden Today

Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), my kitchen garden; June 2010

This week's theme for The Sunday Creative (oh how I love these challenges!) is "open," and I've decided to go with that theme all week, in various media, starting with this entry. I added this echinacea to my kitchen garden last week both for its beautiful flowers and to eventually harvest some roots for my herb collection. My evolving kitchen garden is just in front of the house, visible from the kitchen window, and although it's mostly for herbs I've added some perennial flowers to "pretty" it up for myself as well as visitors.

Everything in front and back is now on a drip irrigation system; after 7 years here in the high-mountain southwest, I feel confident I've finally figured out drip irrigation, including how to clean the emitters that inevitably get clogged from our ridiculously hard water. If you garden in a dry climate zone, want to save water and labor, or are just a gardening fanatic and seek a new challenge, I highly recommend drip irrigation. I get all my supplies and most of my info from Dripworks, which has both a catalog and a Web site for ordering, but many other vendors offer equipment and guidance as well. Once you get the system laid out and operational, it's time to mulch the soil... which is what I'm off to do right now....

5 comments:

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Not only are you a wonderful bead artist, but a great photographer and have a green thumb! All of which I am not. LOL

You have been posting a lot lately! I love what you did with the beads that I sent. Naturally I loved the colors which is why I picked them and hoped you did too! I don't know if you got a chance to see the second one that I did with your heart beads, but I did finish it:) I think I do better with fibers. lol Thanks again for your lovely medley of beads!

Louise said...

Beautiful shot of the flower!

KeLLy aNN said...

My daughter loves those flowers.
I have to really do some distracting to keep her from picking all the neighbors from their flowerbed!

Dana said...

Just love your photographs and your bead soup turned out great.

Jamie said...

What a gorgeous photo