22 June 2010

Memo to Self: Objects in Macro View are Closer than They Appear.

Blooming Cholla (Opuntia imbricata), Magdalena, NM, June 2010

I was so excited to see the first cholla blooms out on my parents' property when I took Lucy for a walk this evening; the setting sun lit the blooms and thorns up perfectly. As I was getting this shot, though, I didn't realize I was almost on top of the plant... till I felt the thorns, right in my chest. OUCH. After I got the shot (this must make me a true photographer, right?) I pulled out no less than two dozen thorns, some over an inch long. Good thing I always wear jeans and a heavy denim shirt in the field...

Dad and I go back up to Albuquerque tomorrow to see Mom, so I took today off from just about everything and just enjoyed the day. I took a few moments this afternoon to finish off my little Maggie's Bead Soup contribution; using the clasp that Bead Soup partner Wanda sent, I turned it into a necklace that Maggie can either wear or hang up as the intended "ornament," as she calls it. The green and copper-colored rounds and the blue glass beads are also from Wanda; Maggie added the copper snails, glass heart drops, and seed beads, and I wirewrapped Wanda's beautiful agate slice for her to use as the focal piece. I really like it, and I know Maggie is very proud of her latest creation!

I missed today's Bead Soup reveals but will catch up tomorrow if I can; so much talent and beauty...

1 comment:

Crafting Queen said...

Talk about suffering for your art!lol Great shot.