22 January 2010

Black (in progress)


I sketched this mosaic out a few weeks ago and am still messing around with the composition (I inadvertently composed in halves rather than following the sacred rule of thirds and am diligently trying to correct that). I'm not happy with it yet, but lucky for me I rarely start adhering pieces till I'm essentially finished composing. It's quite large for me -- 12 by 15 inches -- and "illustrates" a song I can't get out of my head:

...And now my bitter hands
cradle broken glass
of what was everything
All the pictures have
all been washed in black
tattooed everything
All the love gone bad
turned my world to black
...I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star
in somebody else's sky...
(Pearl Jam, "Black")

The black is actually very dark purple glass; I used its smooth side for the foreground heart and bumpy matte side for its background to keep the tone consistently dark but somehow set the heart apart. Maybe that heart should be more "falling apart" or something; it looks too "composed," or something.

The small red heart flying off into the brightening sky isn't clearly visible here (it's still covered by the contact paper I compose on and use to hold it together while moving it around) but is composed of bright mirror-finish glass; I made the wings using polymer clay and "champagne sparkle" acrylic paint. That heart (the one escaping the darkness) would be me, by the way, if this piece were at all representative...

No comments: