06 February 2011

The Sunday Creative: Perspective

Bugeyed, Praying mantis under a sunflower leaf, July 2010, Magdalena NM
Time for The Sunday Creative again (and I'm on time this week!); when I saw that this week's prompt was "perspective" I knew exactly which photo I wanted to put up. Last summer I caught this praying mantis hiding under a leaf of my mammoth sunflower; I had my macro filter on (I was shooting the sunflower buds) and thought about taking the filter off so I could get more depth of field, but s/he surely would have fled, and in any case I love how this photo came out.

Not only did this week's prompt inspire me to re-process this photo (using the Topaz Detail filter for Photoshop, which I wrote about last month) but before I posted here I sat down and put together a bracelet from a clutch of spring green beads I had set aside a while back but never pulled together. So it's a multimedia Sunday Creative for me this week! I don't feel like this bracelet is finished (a recent issue for me; I guess my style used to be simpler) but here's a shot anyway; I might add some charms and lightly oxidize the copper, and I will almost certainly change the clasp because the one I made seems a bit clunky for this bracelet. I can do that later when the kids and I are having a movie marathon in lieu of some big ol' football game that's taking up the entire day... ;-)  Hope you all are enjoying your day, whatever you're up to!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is definitely looking at me. Ha! Great photo.
Love your bracelet.

Silke Powers said...

Oh, I LOVE the praying mantis! When we lived in NM, we had praying mantis eggs hatch in our back yard. I have never seen so many of them...

Your bracelet is just gorgeous!! I love it!

Hugs, Silke

Jen said...

I rather like the bracelet, but I'm sure any changes you make will only improve it!

laurel said...

Awesome shot! And that is a beautiful bracelet.

Lulu.Oui.c'est.Moi said...

Great photo and a very photogenic praying mantis!

Ms. Becky said...

Hi there - I'm on a "perspective" tour, checking out what you're expressing and saying hello. I love the colors you've selected for the bracelet. and what brought me here is the image of the praying mantis. I love them and your capture is splendid! have a beautiful weekend!

Maegan Beishline said...

Fascinating image! And that bracelet is gorgeous...a true work of art!