13 May 2012

Unconditional Love

My two loves, Albuquerque, NM, April 2012
From Stephen Colbert's interview with Maurice Sendak earlier this year:
SC: "What's the best thing a parent can do for their kids?"
MS: "Love them."
SC: "What does that mean?"
MS: "Take them for what they are."
Today, although I miss my mom, I am happy to celebrate becoming a mother with these two little people. They have inspired (and sometimes forced) me to discover strength and creativity I didn't know I possessed, and to step up to the challenge of being there for them no matter what. Today, the kids and I must pull together even more closely as we face an unexpected situation that... changes things. But it also clarifies the meaning and purpose of motherhood for me: to love and celebrate my kids for who they are, even when they're challenging my sanity and resourcefulness, and to give them rock-solid love with no conditions, no tests, no demands, no limits -- just as they have always done for me. Their love and their presence in my life are priceless. Happy Mother's Day to you all.

No comments: