20 December 2011

Post-Processing Experiments: Hummingbird Images Revisited


I am staying up way too late these days playing in Photoshop, lately with the Topaz B/W plug-in. Working with the latter I am finally breaking free of my visual literalism (or whatever you'd call it) to consider what other elements of an image besides stark realism might express the essence of the subject. I always want the most crisp image possible and recall being disappointed when I first opened these images; without a ridiculously expensive fast telephoto lens, hummingbirds are close to impossible to capture "perfectly."


Last night I opened three hummingbird images I took during the summer and started abstracting them; the results were nice, but... still very realistic. Tonight, having had so much fun earlier with today's bird images, I opened the hummingbird images again and went further into abstraction. The blur works here; especially in the top photo I marvel at the clarity of the little dude's eye and head/neck feathers.

I still need to work with the tinting; I see these as a series, perhaps matted or at least hung together, and think the color should be consistent among them. But I can't decide between a warmer or a cooler tone... what do you think?


5 comments:

Nadege, said...

I have so much trouble with bird photography, I need a longer, sharper lens. Great creative effort with your processing...try warmer tones.

Kim, USA said...

I missed watching hummingbird. This photos are fantastic! thanks for the visit and Merry Christmas!

Kim, USA

Marilyn said...

I would try both, of course. But seems like a warmer filter would look good.

Anna Lear said...

Thanks for your feedback, ladies! Having slept on it I agree that warmer tones would be more evocative of summer... I must be feeling chilly because of all the snow we've gotten lately...

Jeanne said...

These hummingbird photos and the processing are awesome! really like them and it inspires me to get out some of my photos! Nice work