10 January 2011

New Starts

Lettuce Seedlings, Jan. 2011
For several months now I've been trying to motivate myself to make some cold frames for a small area just outside the dining room/studio that gets full southern exposure. Last week I decided that, since it's too cold to hang out in the garage using the table saw, I'd make a small start with some Jiffy mini-greenhouses (black plastic trays with clear plastic raised lids) so I could get some greens going. A week later, the mesclun (mixed lettuces and other greens) is going strong, the chard is just sprouting, and the spinach is... coming soon, I hope? Just having new life is so gratifying, and with the trays on this side of the window I can keep close tabs on everything.

"I do not like the Cone of Shame." (from Up)
In other news, Lucydog is recovering well from surgery. We have a hard time keeping her quiet and still because she's such an energetic, playful dog, and she has had to wear the "Cone of Shame" to keep her from aggravating the incision, but overall she seems to be on the mend and should be back to normal in 2 to 3 months. Fingers crossed; I don't enjoy hiking nearly as much when she's not with me and so haven't gone lately, and my midsection is starting to show that.... A few people have suggested getting another dog, but it's hard to find one so loyal, so friendly yet protective, who is happy to ramble and roam yet always stays within earshot and knows exactly where her people are. One friend noted that hunting dogs make terrible hiking buddies because they're bred to catch a scent and run with it, and it's the owner's responsibility to keep up; herding dogs, on the other hand, stay close to their charges and always know where home is. Being part blue heeler, a breed used to guard and herd cattle around here, along with pit bull (also a loyal breed) and who knows what else, Lucy is definitely in the "herder" category. In any case, I don't want to have to pick and train another Bestest Hiking Buddy anytime soon.

2 comments:

Loris Glassworks said...

Your blog is wonderful! I love the vibrant photos. I look forward future posts.
Lori

Libby Leuchtman said...

Hi, I am stopping by fellow bloggers who are participating in Bead Soup with Lori. Love your blog and am so jealous of your new spouts! Can't wait to see what you create.