03 September 2011

I Heart Macro: Picking Pretty Purple Peppers

Purple Bell and Yellow Banana Peppers, Magdalena, NM, Aug. 2011
This year's garden has given me so much pleasure and joy, and now it's giving me gorgeous, delectable produce that I not only get to eat but also get to share. These peppers, though, I kept for myself and the kids, and of course to photograph for this week's I Heart Macro. I don't have much luck with peppers here at 6,800 feet, but this year I used black landscape fabric to both warm the soil and hold in more moisture, and that really helped. A few days ago, when I saw that the purple bell peppers were ready to pick, I took Maggie with me out to the garden to let her pick them for us. Her eyes lit up when she saw three perfect purple peppers. And when I set our harvest out for some still-life shots, Maggie asked if she could compose and photograph a still life, too. So here it is, and it sums up perfectly how we feel about our garden this summer.

Maggie's Garden Bounty Still-Life

15 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh, such gorgeous colos in the peppers...I didn't know they came in purple....really pretty ..and a very cute second shot.
Jenni

Cassy said...

My favorite color is purple and you make me more to be inlove with purple on that Purple peeper.

Great shots!

Cassy from Learn Electric Guitar

hello gorgeous said...

OH! MY! GOD! LOOK at those colours....awesome! I think I would just want to stare at them....they are mesmerising ;o)

hugs

hello gorgeous xxx

Nadege, said...

Very colorful shots. Never seen purple bell peppers before.

Tina´s PicStory said...

Great shots! I love this lilac paprika :)

T... said...

oh what beautiful peppers, I've never seen purple before

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Wow - those peppers are gorgeous! I have never seen purple peppers before. They look metallic - awesome still life shots!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Those are the most gorgeous peppers I have ever seen! I have heard some people have quite a bit of luck with those insulated towers too like tiny little green houses around your plants!

Annette said...

The purple color is gorgeous...almost too pretty to eat! I love Maggie's shot!

John Lee Hunter - Artist said...

fantastic colors... I know God created them, but you captured them well.

Shel said...

OH MY! These are amazing!!

Tracey Leeder said...

I especially love the first shot of that perfect purple pepper! Its is gorgeous.

Lori P said...

I would say you did good!! The purple is spectacular and, you know, it's perfectly highlighted next to it's compliment, yellow. What a beautiful shot.

Kym Hunter Designs said...

I have never seen a purple bell pepper! their so pretty, I wouldn't want to eat them :-) Great pictures and I love the wonderful colors!

Enjoy your day!

Aquariart said...

Wow, I love purple and those peppers are gorgeous. I would like to shrink them into a beautiful pendant and make a necklace!! Great Macro shot!