12 February 2009

Slices of heaven



Tucson was a wonderful experience for me; apparently, though, business was way down for everyone this year. We still did well, and I was fairly busy most days I worked. During lulls, I was more than happy to make jewelry, of course, and passersby seemed to enjoy watching. I made this bracelet of rough-cut blue lace agate, pearls, and sterling to complement a stunning Two Cranes blue lace agate pendant that had the characteristic striations on the side and full druzy in front. I put that piece on three pale lavender, blue, and ivory silk cords and presented it on black velvet, along with this piece and one other pendant on a single silk cord. That drew some attention, and both pendants sold by the end of the show. Technically a chalcedony, blue lace agate is found as nodules primarily in Namibia (southern Africa) and is relatively rare. I love the large, irregular pieces that show off this stone's unique coloration and texture, particularly those with druzy.

No comments: